Saturday, October 24, 2015

Completing the long road to IFMGA/UIAGM certification

Dale Remsberg; Technical Director of the American Mountain Guides Association shakes my hand after calling me up during "Pinning" Ceremony.
After 10 years of courses and exams administered by the AMGA, finally at their Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City at the Petzl facility I received my "pin".  I was elated to say the least. A "Pin" is the symbol of being an IFMGA guide; IFMGA is a acronym for  the International Federation of Mountain Guides Association also know by their French (UIAGM) or German (IVBV) acronyms and is the organization that sets the standard for mountain guiding the world over.
Olivia Race "Pinning" me at the AMGA meeting. There wasn't a plan for her to "pin" me, but I could hardly think of a more perfect person as Olivia and her husband John Race (owners of the Northwest Mountain School) have been incredibly influential in my guiding career while I worked toward my IFMGA/UIAGM certification.
 I was lucky enough to be the 99th American Mountain Guide to receive these honer. I started the process in Joshua Tree in March 2007 and while I had to make several sacrifices over nearly 10 years in order to take these courses and exams, I never felt the whole process wasn't completely worth-it.
It was a very emotional evening and felt so proud to call myself an "American Mountain Guide". It was also very nice to get a fair amount of free gear during my "Pinning"; Big thanks to Petzl, Arc'teryx and Adidas for hooking us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment